Philoptochos means “friend of the poor.” The Greek Orthodox Philoptochos Society is the duly accredited women’s philanthropic society of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. Established in 1931 by the Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras who was serving then as Archbishop of North and South America, Philoptochos has now grown nationally to over 450 chapters and is the largest Christian women’s philanthropic organization in the United States. Women who participate in the local chapter of Philoptochos are also automatically members of the National and Metropolis Philoptochos.
The dedicated labor of the faithful Greek Orthodox women of the Philoptochos Society across the United States promotes the charitable, benevolent and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America by instructional programming, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources. They voluntarily aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through special funds or solicitations on the local level.
Please consider renewing or newly starting your membership with our Philoptochos Society. The National Philoptochos Society is the largest women’s Christian charitable organization in the United States. We support and help those in need in our community and beyond by assisting the elderly, ill and underprivileged through Orthodox missions, IOCC, St. Basil’s Academy, UNICEF and countless other charitable endeavors. We strive to improve the lives of others by making a difference. JOIN US!
Ladies of the Philoptochos Society past….coming soon